An ad currently up on Mediabistro's job board seems a little bit weird, considering the current writers' strike and all:
Popular Cable Television Show Seeks Writer
Major responsibilities include:
• Crafting strong, engaging monologues based on a mix of news, research, and host opinion.
• Daily calls with host to flesh out point-of-view and brainstorm topics.
• Producing segments with appropriate graphics, banners and other elements.
• Following major story threads to develop leads, angles, etc.
• Writing introductions to guest-driven segments.
The right candidate will be self directed news junkie who has the ability to meet deadlines without supervision. A track record in developing smart and engaging copy, infused with clever and unconventional humor is also a must. Knowledge of current events and politics is required and the ideal candidate will be comfortable writing point of view monologues for a political ideology that may differ from their own.
Gosh, what popular cable-television show features monologues delivered by a host whose stated political ideology may differ from that of your average TV writer? We know nothing, of course, not even where the "Mr. Kevin Bell" who invited applicants to e-mail him might work. And we would be really surprised if Stephen Colbert was planning to hire scabs. Who else could it be? Let us know in the comments!