Vulture’s Oscar Futures has pegged The Social Network and The Kings’ Speech as early favorites for a Best Picture nomination, with critical favorites from earlier in the year The Kids Are All Right and Toy Story 3, plus upcoming buzzy features Black Swan and 127 Hours also in the discussion. But is it time to start talking about Kanye’s movie?
As you may recall, Kanye explained the film — a 40-minute clip called Runaway, based on his upcoming album — to our friends at The Cut as “the story of a phoenix fallen to Earth I make her my girlfriend, and people discriminate against her and eventually she has to burn herself alive and go back to her world.” Sounds great so far, right? Well, Kanye screened Runaway in London last night (and in Paris the night before that) and there are a few new details that should only engender more positive vibes for ’Ye’s cinematic debut. Our five favorite things we learned about Runaway today:
• Selita Ebanks — who is one of the models Kanye name-checks on “Christian Dior Denim Flow,” but not one of the ones he expresses a desire to sleep with — plays the Phoenix.
• There’s a scene where Kanye is driving an expensive sports car and is hit by a fireball from the sky.
• Selita Ebanks comes out of the fireball.
• One scene involves a giant paper-mâché Michael Jackson head.
• Nicki Minaj narrates part of the movie. She does so in a British accent.
Is 40 minutes long enough for Best Picture eligibility? Surely the Academy will make an exception. Anyway, Runaway's teaser trailer is above.
Details Emerge from Kanye’s 40 Minute Film Runaway [NahRight]
Kanye West - Runaway (Screening Review) [HipHopChronicleUK]
KANYE WEST - RUNAWAY FILM/ALBUM LAUNCH [DJSemtex]