Last night, the Council of Fashion Designers of America celebrated the best in clothes making, like the Olsen Twins, who won Womenswear Designer(s) of the Year. Seth Meyers, wearing Marc Jacobs’s outfit from the MET Gala, had the unenviable task of hosting. As he put it with perfect sarcasm:
As a comedian, I have to say that this gig is a dream come true, because you know what they say about the world of high fashion: It’s just a bunch of easygoing, laid-back people who love to laugh at themselves.
1. “I’ve also been told that this awards ceremony is often referred to as the Oscars of fashion, which is appropriate because I have often been referred to as the Billy Crystal of fashion.”
2. “You could even say that fashion and comedy go together like Bar Mitzvahs and Galliano. [Long pause, with awkward laughs.] No one in this room got where they were without taking a risk. I just took one, and I think we can all agree I shouldn’t have. That joke went so badly I’m going to get fired from Dior.”
3. “Something else that’s very exciting: Brad Pitt has been named the new face of Chanel. He’s a good-looking guy for sure, but I’m not sure he’s the guy you look at and think, ‘I bet he smells great. Who doesn’t want the musk of a man who carries five children around all day at the Beverly Center?’”
4. On Marc Jacobs’s Met Gala outfit: “Must be so nice heading to the Met having no fear that someone is wearing the same outfit as you. Hey guys, who wore it better: Marc Jacobs, or the window at an Italian funeral home? ”
5. “True story: I live on Bleecker and 11th, above what used to be the Biography Bookstore, and it was so convenient when we were heading off for a trip and needed to buy a book at the last minute. Now Biography is Marc Jacobs’s bookstore, Bookmarc, which is so convenient when I’m heading off for a trip and need to buy a last-minute, 50 pound coffee table book with pictures of lifeguards from the sixties.”