A Few Good Men opened twenty years ago this week, which seemed like a perfect occasion to revisit Aaron Sorkin's first movie. Join us for this trip down memory lane. And tangent lane. And feelings lane. And the Sorkin superhighway.
1. I can't remember the last time I saw this movie from the beginning. I feel like I've seen it dozens of times, but A Few Good Men's status as a cable staple means I've seen chunks of it dozens of times. Start to finish, probably closer to five or six. (I like to re-watch things.) I forgot that the movie actually opens at Guantanamo Bay, and we watch Downey and Dawson bind and gag Santiago.
2. Last night's Scandal had a tiny shout-out to A Few Good Men. Olivia said she was going to need to talk to "Colonel Jessup," which is Jack Nicholson's character.
3. There are only two women with speaking roles in this movie. Demi Moore as Lieutenant Commander Galloway and Aunt Ginny.
4. When the movie came out, Gene Siskel said it was "really refreshing" that Tom Cruise and Demi Moore's characters "do not have a love affair." "[Moore's] character was originally a man, I'm convinced of that," Ebert countered. "And they made it into a woman without rewriting it in any way." I don't think that's true.
5. Has Tom Cruise ever looked better than he looks in Men? He has not.
6. Has Kevin Pollak ever looked more like Bradley Whitford than he looks in Men? Again, no. (Maybe those two can join up on another Aaron Sorkin project down the road.)
7. When we first see Colonel Jessup, he tells a story about Kaffee's father. "This man's dad once made a lot of enemies down in your neck of the woods," he tells Keifer Sutherland's Kendrick. "Jefferson vs. Madison County School District. The folks down there said a little black girl couldn't go to an all-white school; Lionel Kaffee said we'll just see about that." It sounds like a Jed Bartlet speech or a Casey McCall folksy-ism; it's a strange moment because Jessup's telling this casual, inspirational anecdote, but he's obviously so evil from the moment we meet him.
8. Sorkin's style is obvious through the movie, and you can physically spot him around 56 minutes into it, as a lawyer at a bar complaining about the Delaware insurance code. Having re-watched this movie three times for this story, my new wish is that Aaron Sorkin would write a legal procedural. Every episode would have a glorious monologue about justice, but it would be totally reasonable and appropriate considering the venue. More banter about the Delaware insurance code! Less blathering about the tragic state of cable news.
9. There are a few Sorkin hallmarks that make their first appearances in A Few Good Men. Is someone named Danny? Yes. Does someone have a serious complex about disappointing their powerful father? Yes. (Bonus: Is that person a Danny? YES.) Is someone not taken seriously because they appear to be too young to do their job? Yes.
10. Another Sorkin marker would be the names. The guy likes a hard-K sound in last names: Men has Kaffee and Kendrick, American President has Kodak, Sports Night has Casey McCall, West Wing has Cregg, Studio 60 has Killington and Kenwright, and Newsroom has Keefer. Somewhere, a fundamentalist family in search of a TLC show just figured out what they want to name their nine children.
11. Stephen Sondheim says that certain K sounds can feel like little jabs and that the word quick should feel like a key in a lock. That's how the word crystal works in the final courtroom seen in A Few Good Men:
And Kendrick was clear on what you wantedJESSEP
…JESSEPWe follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?KAFFEE
Are we clear?KAFFEE
I know "you can't handle the truth" is the famous line, but it's these two "crystal"s that really knock me out in this scene. I am ready to throw all of your shit right back in your face.
12. Another Sorkin hallmark: Sam Weinberg (Pollak) says that in college he wrote a paper about Danny's father. Sam on West Wing has a similar experience in the episode "Somebody's Going to Emergency," where he meets a woman whose grandfather he wrote about in law school.
13. There's a Nintendo sitting on top of Danny's TV. I bet that guy played a lot of Q'Bert.
14. I don't usually think of Christopher Guest as being in this, but he is! He's the doctor who didn't detect Santiago's heart condition.
15. A lot of the music in A Few Good Men sounds like the music in The American President (Marc Shaiman wrote the scores for both), but the rest of the music in Men sounds like funky suspense jams that were originally composed to be the opening song for Law & Order.
16. Someone told me once that they considered the line "Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg?" to be the most anti-Semitic phrase they'd ever heard.
17. Wolfgang Bodison, who plays Dawson, was Rob Reiner's assistant on Misery.
18. Noah Wyle was apparently the second choice for this role, at least according to Sorkin's reused convocation remarks. Wyle seems so much beefier here than he looks two years later on the premiere of ER.
19. For all of its snazzy legal glory, Men has a seriously by-the-book Law & Order judge. Maybe they weren't courtroom clichés at the time — L&O premiered in 1990, though it was hardly the first TV legal drama — but lines like "you better get somewhere fast with this" sound incredibly cheesy now.
20. This movie really makes me want to watch American President.
Most Viewed Stories
Watch Gwyneth Paltrow and Johnny Depp Play Never Have I Ever
What the Actress Who Played Jan Thinks of Her Brady Bunch Movie Meme
I Served in Iraq, and American Sniper Gets It Right. But It’s Still Not the War Film We Need.
It’s Great Johnny Depp Seems to Be Having So Much Fun in Mortdecai Because No One Else Will
Benedict Cumberbatch Dresses Like Original Sherlock, Looks Great
5 Things American Sniper’s Chris Kyle Allegedly Lied About
Sundance: You’ll Never Guess Who Jack Black Just Hooked Up With
20 Years After Its Release, a Brady Bunch Movie Meme Emerges
Sundance: (Very) Early Oscar Buzz for Jason Segel’s Portrayal of David Foster Wallace
Stephen Collins’s Divorce Is (Finally) Finalized
Latest News on VultureStephen Collins’s Divorce Is (Finally) Finalized
Bye.Did We Turn George R.R. Martin on to Free the Nipple?
Maybe.Watch Gwyneth Paltrow and Johnny Depp Play Never Have I Ever
Who's part of the mile-high club?Sundance: You’ll Never Guess Who Jack Black Just Hooked Up With
It's a shocker.Bill Maher Thinks the American Sniper Is More Like a ‘Psychopath Patriot’
Maher doesn't think Chris Kyle is very Christian.Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Talks Campus Rape and The Hunting Ground at Sundance
She wants to "flip the incentives" so that universities report sexual assault.Sundance: (Very) Early Oscar Buzz for Jason Segel’s Portrayal of David Foster Wallace
"Transformative."Glee Recap: A Suitcase Full of Glitter and Tears
The show returns to its darkly hilarious roots.Broad City’s BodyByTrey.Biz Is Also Real, Also Amazing
Cha-chinga!Kevin Costner’s New Moves: The Actor on Stepping Into Racial Politics With Black or White
“One of the reasons I financed this film is so the script that I read—the script I just could not ignore—would not become a casualty of conventional moviemaking.”The Sundance Sexfest Continues With Adam Scott and Jason Schwartzman’s Naked Dance Party
Both stars go full frontal ... but there's a twist.Julia Roberts Is Making a Batkid Movie????????????
She will produce and star?????!!???Ryan Guzman on The Boy Next Door and Why There Is So Much Talk of Cookies
"Everyone is giving [cookies] to me thinking that I cannot stop eating cookies."A Vulture Says Farewell
Tusk!Netflix Gets Duplass Brothers to Create 4 Very Mumbly Feature Films
It's a Sundance miracle!It Follows Trailer: How to Make STDs Even Scarier
A horror movie about a sexually transmitted something.Eminem, Danny Brown, and the Rest of Motor City Represents in ‘Detroit Vs. Everybody’
Featuring Eminem, Big Sean, Danny Brown, Royce da 5'9", Trick Trick, and Dej Loaf.Submarine Thriller Black Sea Is a Rattling Good Ride
Starring Jude Law and Scoot McNairy.Benedict Cumberbatch Dresses Like Original Sherlock, Looks Great
Spoiler alert.The Prototype Festival Gives Opera-Makers — and Courtney Love — Space to Try New Things
Can it grow without disappointing those who treasure it most?Is This Week’s Bob’s Burgers Musical Number the Best One Yet?
We have the exclusive preview.Did You Root for the Americans During the ‘Miracle on Ice’? Red Army Will Make You Sympathize With the Other Side
A new documentary looks at Russian hockey in the 20th century.American Sniper’s Comics Homage Is Perfect — and Terrifying
Chris Kyle was a Punisher fan, and that's scary.Rihanna Makes Everything Better in This Exclusive Clip From Girlhood
It's the acclaimed new film opening soon.A Mrs. Doubtfire Musical Is Actively Being Worked On
Hello!The Boy Next Door Inadvertently Teaches Us About the Magic of the ‘Dick Tie’
Thanks, Ryan Guzman.Quiz: Has Gwyneth Paltrow Romanced This Co-star in Real Life?
Co-star or more-star?Star of The Affair Calls for TV ‘Orgasm Face’ Equality
"Why is it always the woman who’s orgasming? Let’s analyze the male orgasm."The 6 Kinds of Dresses Jennifer Lopez Wears
Most of them are shiny.Archer Recap: Axis Power
"How hard is it to remember gum?"It’s Rare to Find an Animated Film That Bounces Around As Weirdly As Strange Magic
With a story by George Lucas.Watch 3 Behind-the-Scenes Videos From Transparent
Featuring the cast and writer Jill Soloway.Lena Dunham Revealed a Very Uncomfortable Fantasy About Chris Farley
While speaking to Judd Apatow.What the Actress Who Played Jan Thinks of Her Brady Bunch Movie Meme
"She was so misunderstood, God bless her."Jennifer Aniston Goes Drab in This Deflated Cake
Also co-starring Anna Kendrick as a ghost.The Vampire Diaries Recap: Love Is Blind
It's good to be back.Parenthood Cry-cap: Round and Round in a Circle Game
In the penultimate episode ever, there’s new life, a decision that could lead to death, and, as always, a ton of crying.It’s Great Johnny Depp Seems to Be Having So Much Fun in Mortdecai Because No One Else Will
This movie is not good!What Would Captain America Think of Sebastian Stan’s Crazy Sundance Sex Scene?
The Winter Soldier gets very acrobatic — and very nude — in The Bronze.Watch Conan Skewer Bill Cosby’s Sex-Assault Scandal
Yikes.Sansa Stark to Play Jean Grey in X-Men: Apocalypse
Specifically: Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, and Tye Sheridan.Catch New Fifty Shades Scenes in Ellie Goulding’s ‘Love Me Like You Do’ Music Video
From the soundtrack, which drops February 10.Kanye West Pontificates, Previews Some New Music at Radio Event
Including a duet with Rihanna.Theater Review: Into the Newest Into the Woods
Happily ever after?Backstrom: Oh Joy, Another Show About a Terrible Person Who Is Great at Their Job
Starring The Office's Rainn Wilson.Classic Interview With a Very ... Out of It Jennifer Aniston
From the Just Go With It press tour.Leslie Knope’s Parenting Strategies Revealed in New Parks and Recreation Deleted Scene
There is a lot of shouting.Let’s Take Bets on Who Will Die on Parenthood
It's time.See a Trailer for the New Season of Hannibal
Grab your forks.Rainn Wilson on Backstrom and Why It’s Not Just House As a Cop
"Truly the last thing I wanted to do after wrapping 200 episodes of The Office was start shooting another television show."