A Few Good Men opened twenty years ago this week, which seemed like a perfect occasion to revisit Aaron Sorkin's first movie. Join us for this trip down memory lane. And tangent lane. And feelings lane. And the Sorkin superhighway.
1. I can't remember the last time I saw this movie from the beginning. I feel like I've seen it dozens of times, but A Few Good Men's status as a cable staple means I've seen chunks of it dozens of times. Start to finish, probably closer to five or six. (I like to re-watch things.) I forgot that the movie actually opens at Guantanamo Bay, and we watch Downey and Dawson bind and gag Santiago.
2. Last night's Scandal had a tiny shout-out to A Few Good Men. Olivia said she was going to need to talk to "Colonel Jessup," which is Jack Nicholson's character.
3. There are only two women with speaking roles in this movie. Demi Moore as Lieutenant Commander Galloway and Aunt Ginny.
4. When the movie came out, Gene Siskel said it was "really refreshing" that Tom Cruise and Demi Moore's characters "do not have a love affair." "[Moore's] character was originally a man, I'm convinced of that," Ebert countered. "And they made it into a woman without rewriting it in any way." I don't think that's true.
5. Has Tom Cruise ever looked better than he looks in Men? He has not.
6. Has Kevin Pollak ever looked more like Bradley Whitford than he looks in Men? Again, no. (Maybe those two can join up on another Aaron Sorkin project down the road.)
7. When we first see Colonel Jessup, he tells a story about Kaffee's father. "This man's dad once made a lot of enemies down in your neck of the woods," he tells Keifer Sutherland's Kendrick. "Jefferson vs. Madison County School District. The folks down there said a little black girl couldn't go to an all-white school; Lionel Kaffee said we'll just see about that." It sounds like a Jed Bartlet speech or a Casey McCall folksy-ism; it's a strange moment because Jessup's telling this casual, inspirational anecdote, but he's obviously so evil from the moment we meet him.
8. Sorkin's style is obvious through the movie, and you can physically spot him around 56 minutes into it, as a lawyer at a bar complaining about the Delaware insurance code. Having re-watched this movie three times for this story, my new wish is that Aaron Sorkin would write a legal procedural. Every episode would have a glorious monologue about justice, but it would be totally reasonable and appropriate considering the venue. More banter about the Delaware insurance code! Less blathering about the tragic state of cable news.
9. There are a few Sorkin hallmarks that make their first appearances in A Few Good Men. Is someone named Danny? Yes. Does someone have a serious complex about disappointing their powerful father? Yes. (Bonus: Is that person a Danny? YES.) Is someone not taken seriously because they appear to be too young to do their job? Yes.
10. Another Sorkin marker would be the names. The guy likes a hard-K sound in last names: Men has Kaffee and Kendrick, American President has Kodak, Sports Night has Casey McCall, West Wing has Cregg, Studio 60 has Killington and Kenwright, and Newsroom has Keefer. Somewhere, a fundamentalist family in search of a TLC show just figured out what they want to name their nine children.
11. Stephen Sondheim says that certain K sounds can feel like little jabs and that the word quick should feel like a key in a lock. That's how the word crystal works in the final courtroom seen in A Few Good Men:
And Kendrick was clear on what you wantedJESSEP
…JESSEPWe follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?KAFFEE
Are we clear?KAFFEE
I know "you can't handle the truth" is the famous line, but it's these two "crystal"s that really knock me out in this scene. I am ready to throw all of your shit right back in your face.
12. Another Sorkin hallmark: Sam Weinberg (Pollak) says that in college he wrote a paper about Danny's father. Sam on West Wing has a similar experience in the episode "Somebody's Going to Emergency," where he meets a woman whose grandfather he wrote about in law school.
13. There's a Nintendo sitting on top of Danny's TV. I bet that guy played a lot of Q'Bert.
14. I don't usually think of Christopher Guest as being in this, but he is! He's the doctor who didn't detect Santiago's heart condition.
15. A lot of the music in A Few Good Men sounds like the music in The American President (Marc Shaiman wrote the scores for both), but the rest of the music in Men sounds like funky suspense jams that were originally composed to be the opening song for Law & Order.
16. Someone told me once that they considered the line "Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg?" to be the most anti-Semitic phrase they'd ever heard.
17. Wolfgang Bodison, who plays Dawson, was Rob Reiner's assistant on Misery.
18. Noah Wyle was apparently the second choice for this role, at least according to Sorkin's reused convocation remarks. Wyle seems so much beefier here than he looks two years later on the premiere of ER.
19. For all of its snazzy legal glory, Men has a seriously by-the-book Law & Order judge. Maybe they weren't courtroom clichés at the time — L&O premiered in 1990, though it was hardly the first TV legal drama — but lines like "you better get somewhere fast with this" sound incredibly cheesy now.
20. This movie really makes me want to watch American President.
Most Viewed Stories
It’s Friday: Cry Watching Tracy Chapman Sing ‘Stand by Me’ to David Letterman, or Maybe Just Cry From the Relief of a Work Week Finished
Stephen Colbert, World’s Biggest Star Wars Fan, Interviewed George Lucas and Somehow Didn’t Freak Out
Bill Pullman Reelected for Independence Day 2
Dr Doom Appears in Leaked Fantastic 4 Trailer
Official (Not-Blurry) Batman v Superman Trailer Released
The Gruesome Ways Every Character in Wolf Hall Died in Real Life
How Spike’s Lip Sync Battle Became Such a Stunning Success
Outlander’s Lotte Verbeek on Geillis’s Reveal, Feminism, and Dancing Naked
Kevin James Movies Have a Kevin James Problem
Outlander Recap: The Witch of Blackbird Loch
Latest News from VultureThe New New Museum: The Whitney May Have Just Won New York’s Museum Arms Race
How the museum might just solve the impossible problem of contemporary art.Renzo Piano’s New Whitney Building Is Filled With Light — and Contradictions
The architect mistakes virtue for personality.Gareth Edward Dishes New Details on Rogue One
If there's a bright center to the universe, Edwards is on it.Dr Doom Appears in Leaked Fantastic 4 Trailer
"Doom."Meryl Streep Funds Screenwriting Lab for Women
She really is the best.Kanye Joins The Weeknd at Coachella
Ball so hard. All Day.Tale of Tales Teaser Is Gory and Gorgeous
The film premieres at Cannes.Unstoppable Furious 7 Smokes Paul Blart
Kevin James continues his losing streak to forever.Outlander’s Lotte Verbeek on Geillis’s Reveal, Feminism, and Dancing Naked
"Once you think you know her, you turn out to not know her at all."Outlander Recap: The Witch of Blackbird Loch
Did Claire time-travel only to get burned at the stake?Orphan Black Season Premiere Recap: Count Your Sisters
Welcome back, Clone Club!Jay Z Wins Court Case, Now Owns His Album Masters
Go and brush ya shoulders off.Dominic Cooper Will Meet God in Preacher
God said, “Let there be light,” and there was Dominic Cooper.Bill Pullman Reelected for Independence Day 2
Pullman will not go quietly into the night.Shia LaBeouf Explains How His Sia Video Is Like Scarface
At a Tribeca Film Festival Q&A.Damon Albarn Sounds Sad on Blur’s Moody New Song
He's running out of heart today.Marvel Unveils Beautiful NYC-Themed Covers in the Wake of DC Moving to California
Ms. Marvel on the High Line!Cristela Creator Writes Poignant Letter About Her Show
"I’m a real person and this show is about real people."The Gruesome Ways Every Character in Wolf Hall Died in Real Life
Spoiler warning!Official (Not-Blurry) Batman v Superman Trailer Released
Why so serious, Zack?Stephen Colbert, World’s Biggest Star Wars Fan, Interviewed George Lucas and Somehow Didn’t Freak Out
The two shared the stage as part of the Tribeca Talks: Directors series.Tina Fey–Narrated Monkey Kingdom Makes the Wild Familiar
Tina Fey's narration is full of humor and warmth.Movie Review: The Dead Lands Is a Streamlined, Relentless Action Film
Like a typical action movie that's been sawed off and sanded down.Furious 7 Made a Billion Dollars in Just 17 Days
Zoom.It’s Friday: Cry Watching Tracy Chapman Sing ‘Stand by Me’ to David Letterman, or Maybe Just Cry From the Relief of a Work Week Finished
For you, Dave.Daredevil Recap: Black Sky
Matt can tell when someone is in love, or dying, or the exact emotional needs of a dog.Tidal CEO to Be Replaced
Probably not on Hov's call list today.Felicity Jones on True Story, Star Wars, and Oscar Season
"It's a pinch-me moment."Kars4Kids Is on Television. The End Is Nigh.
Pure torture.12 Years a Slave’s John Ridley Is Secretly Working With Marvel on a New TV Series
How mysterious.Watch Rose Byrne and Nick Kroll Freak Out in Jane Krakowski’s Swim Class
From their new movie Adult Beginners.Sundance Standout Dope Has a Trailer and It’s Dope
You are dope.Why Cristela Deserves to Get a Second Season
It will be a damn shame if this winning comedy is canceled.Matthew McConaughey Fanboyed Out to the Star Wars Trailer, Just Like the Rest of Us
So many tears.Child 44 Wastes a Great Cast and Premise
How can a movie starring Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, Joel Kinnaman, and Gary Oldman be so bad?Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 Sure Is Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
Did you notice that Blart rhymes with fart?After 53 Years, It’s Time to Say Good-bye to Univision’s Sábado Gigante
Adiós, amigo.Kevin James Movies Have a Kevin James Problem
The comedian's movies don't understand what he does best.Horror Movies and the Modern-Day Technology That Will Kill You
Forget vampires; this is Snapchat.Thanks to WikiLeaks, You Can Now Search Through All the Leaked Sony Emails
Julian Assange strikes again.Was a J.Lo Cameo in Anna Kendrick’s ‘Booty’ Lip Sync Enough to Beat John Krasinski in a Dress?
Sometimes you're just a man in a dress.Scandal Recap: Back, But Never Here
Welcome back, Papa Pope!If You Want to Have Sex in a Box While People Watch, You’re Going to Have to Do It on Your Own Time Now
RIP, Sex Box.Tatiana Maslany Talks Orphan Black, Clone Origin Stories, and Sarah and Felix’s Incredible Loft
"They're not going to give up that real estate."True Story Finds Jonah Hill and James Franco Playing ‘Serious Actors’ Instead of Actually Acting
It is definitely no Jinx.The Vampire Diaries Recap: What If?
We don’t know how Elena’s story will end, but we do know our lives will not be the same without her.Sarah Jessica Parker Is Returning to HBO and Fictional New York City
Carrie's back. Kinda.Animated Louis C.K. Animal Movie Gets a Name and Release Date
The Secret Life of Pets — with an amazing and not-so-secret cast!Conan O’Brien Tried to Do a Detective-Themed Escape Room, Almost Throttled His Producer
In the 1940s.Oops, Part of the Batman v Superman Trailer Leaked
Watch it while it lasts.