Star Wars don George Lucas has been pretty laissez-faire with Episode VII — so much so he hasn’t even seen the teaser. He told USA Today that one of the reasons for his lack of involvement is his youngest daughter: In 2012, the filmmaker sold his company Lucasfilm to Disney, and by June 2013, he married Mellody Hobson and had baby Everest. Prior to the sale, Lucas had already begun developing the next Star Wars trilogy, and he thought he’d wrap and release Episode VII in May 2015, then sell Lucasfilm.
Disney had other plans, however. “It’s better for me to get out at the beginning of a new thing and I can just remove myself,” Lucas said. “The time is more important to me than the money.” Now his calling is fathering 17-month-old Everest, while “she doesn’t have much else to do but hang out with her father.”
Even though Lucas calls himself retired, Lucasfilm’s animated musical Strange Magic, which he executive-produced and reportedly worked on for 15 years, comes out January 23, and he plans to work on small, experimental flicks in what little free time he has going forward. And he might see Episode VII. “The only thing I really regret about Star Wars is the fact I never got to see it — I never got to be blown out of my seat when the ship came over the screen,” he said. “The next one, I’ll be able to enjoy it like anybody else.”