The Twin Peaks Revival Will Officially Begin Filming, But May Not Arrive Until 2017

By
Photo: CBS Photo Archive/Getty Images

After months of delay and a near-death experience, the Twin Peaks revival will begin filming next month, Showtime announced Tuesday at the network’s portion of the TV Critics Association press tour. Despite the September start date, Showtime chief David Nevins conceded it’s possible the series won’t return until 2017, as the show’s producers have hinted via Twitter. However, “I want it as badly and as soon as the biggest fans want it,” Nevins said. “I hope we make it [on the air] in 2016. But it’s not clear. They’re going to shoot the whole thing and then post it. I’m hoping sooner rather than later.” Nevins declined to confirm who will be in the new project, deferring to co-creator and director David Lynch, but he indicated fans will be happy with the returning names and that there will be a few “surprises.” As for Lynch’s temporary departure from the project earlier this year, Nevins said an issue arose when it became clear the director needed more than nine episodes to tell the story he wanted to tell. “We had to work out the details,” Nevins said. “I never had any doubts we were going to get him back.”