Last month, Maze Runner star Dylan O’Brien suffered multiple injuries on set while shooting the third film in the series, Death Cure, temporarily halting production until he had sufficient time to recover. (He’s the film’s chief protagonist.) However, it appears his injuries are a lot more serious than previously reported, and the production for Death Cure has been indefinitely shut down because of it. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the film’s “cast and crew have been sent home, and a new start date will depend on O’Brien’s recovery and the ability to reassemble the large cast and crew.” O’Brien was reportedly shooting a scene in a harness on top of a moving vehicle before being abruptly pulled off and hit by another vehicle, where he then suffered from a “concussion, facial fracture and lacerations.”
“The resumption of principal photography on Maze Runner: The Death Cure has been further delayed to allow Dylan O’Brien more time to fully recover from his injuries,” Fox said in a statement, sparking doubt that the film’s February 17, 2017 release will remain. “We wish Dylan a speedy recovery and look forward to restarting production as soon as possible.” In an additional statement, O’Brien’s publicist said “his injuries are very serious, and he needs more time to recover.” Get well soon, man.