See the Trailer for HBO’s The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
In 1951, Henrietta Lacks made a trip to Johns Hopkins University to receive treatment for cervical cancer, and without her knowledge or permission, cells were harvested from her body and made available to researchers. In the decades since, her unusually hearty cell line has appeared in tens of thousands of scientific papers, and contributed to advancements in virology, polio vaccines, live cell transport, cloning, and much more. Now Henrietta Lacks’s story is headed to HBO with the network’s adaptation of the best-selling book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Neither Lacks nor her family were ever told about Henrietta’s gargantuan contributions to medical science — the cell line was referred to only as HeLa — and in the movie, Oprah Winfrey will play her justice-seeking daughter looking to cement her mother’s legacy. She’s joined by Rose Byrne, Renée Elise Goldsberry, and Courtney B. Vance. Get ready to be hit by the feelings train. It’s coming in fast.
- Which Queer Eye Guy Is the Biggest Control Freak About Driving?
- David Harbour Wasn’t Asked to Dance in Stranger Things 2, But He Did Anyway
- The Queer Eye Guys on Season Two’s Biggest Twist
- Silicon Valley’s Thomas Middleditch on Mocking the Tech Elite
- The Queer Eye Guys on Men’s Biggest Fashion Mistakes
- The Queer Eye Guys on How They Got Cast
- Why the Queer Eye Guys Never Pick Fights With Republicans
- How Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Gets Away With Its Dirtiest Jokes
- Ozark’s Julia Garner on Finding Her Southern Twang
- Alison Brie Reveals the Go-to Grooming Product on the Set of GLOW
- We Had to Wonder: How Did Sex and the City Portray Queer People?
- The Stars of Spongebob on Broadway Make Their Own Spongebob Memes
- The Americans: In Memoriam
- Here Are 11 Minutes of Unfiltered Tracy Morgan
- Tracy Morgan Has Equal Love for Tiffany Haddish and Craft Services
- Cameron Britton Thought About Killing His Mom While Filming Mindhunter
- How the Ladies of Ibiza Get F*cked-up Around the World
- Watch Jonathan Van Ness Fangirl Over Justin Theroux in Charlie’s Angels
- Retta Is Over People Telling Her to ‘Treat Yo’ Self’
- Rachel Bloom Gloriously Roasts Adam Pally for His Shorty Awards Performance