Exclusive: See How Reynolds’s Personal Style Evolved in an Early Phantom Thread Camera Test
When Alma (Vicky Krieps) interrupts Reynolds (Daniel Day-Lewis) to bring him tea in Phantom Thread, she’s bullied out of the room. In this exclusive camera test from behind the scenes of Phantom Thread, Cyril (Lesley Manville) has better luck. In the clip, director Paul Thomas Anderson, Manville, and Day-Lewis are all getting a feel for the House of Woodcock’s fussy couturier. It’s clear what was axed, and what stayed the same: A garish teapot had to go, as did the regular tie Day-Lewis dons during breakfast. In voice-over, PTA says no one was satisfied with that part of Reynolds’s costume. “I thought the bow ties didn’t look nerdy or costumey or anything,” costume designer Mark Bridges told Vulture. “On another level, it just speaks to how he’s different, he’s marching to a different drummer.”
Of Cyril’s costumes in those early test shots, Bridges says he wanted them to be “variations of a theme,” sticking to darker grays. “I think it works very well within the house, sort of her buzzing around this sherbet-colored existence as this little stern, dark side of things. But it’s not nasty. It’s always elegant and vaguely sexy,” he said.
Bridges, a longtime PTA collaborator, won his second Oscar for his work in Phantom Thread. Where does he keep his new trophy? “My old one [for The Artist] is in my bedroom, in a glass dome,” he said. “The new kid on the block? I haven’t decided yet.” Phantom Thread is available on digital now, and will be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on April 10.
- The 7 Most Damning Appearances on Who Is America?
- Watch a Cannabis Expert Fact-Check Stoner Movies
- Watch a Sword Expert Fact-check Hollywood Sword Fights
- Pets in Film Are Shook by Human Intimacy
- Chef Dale Talde Critiques Hollywood Food Scenes
- How Realistic Are Shark Attacks in Movies?
- Camp Counselors React to Hollywood Camp Scenes
- The Billy Eichner ‘Let’s Go, Lesbians!’ Meme Is Here to Save the Day
- NYC Stories: Bill Hader and Henry Winkler Have Ridiculous Memories of NYC
- How Realistic Are Hollywood Hacking Scenes?
- A History of the New York Drag Scene That Launched RuPaul
- We Baked a Drake Cake to Celebrate Scorpion
- Sex Educators React to Hollywood’s Sex Scenes
- Why GLOW’s Creators Feel Like They’re Running a ‘Leotard Factory’
- Justin Hartley on Kevin’s Transformation in This Is Us
- How Ryan Murphy Convinced Billie Lourd to Dye Her Hair For AHS: Cult
- Ted Danson on Why The Good Place Is Really About Karma
- Why Matt LeBlanc Embraced Humiliation for Episodes
- Evan Rachel Wood Explains Why Westworld Is an Actor’s Obstacle Course
- Roger Rabbit Changed the Way Hollywood Animates