Let Emma Thompson Move You to Tears in the Trailer for The Children Act
If your life was going to be in the hands of a judge, could you ask for anyone more good and fair than Emma Thompson to preside over your case? In The Children Act — based on the novel of the same name by Ian McEwan, who also adapted the screenplay — Thompson plays a judge trying to save her embattled marriage (to Stanley Tucci!) while also deciding whether or not a hospital can provide a life-saving blood transfusion to a minor in the face of religious objections. Teenage Adam (Dunkirk’s Fionn Whitehead) has leukemia, but as a Jehovah’s Witness he is unable to accept foreign blood into his body. He doesn’t want it. His family doesn’t want it. But can the courts intervene? And can the dream union of Thompson and Tucci be saved? The Children Act will start streaming on DirecTV on August 16 and open in limited theatrical release on September 14.
- Watch a Sword Expert Fact-check Hollywood Sword Fights
- Pets in Film Are Shook by Human Intimacy
- Chef Dale Talde Critiques Hollywood Food Scenes
- How Realistic Are Shark Attacks in Movies?
- Camp Counselors React to Hollywood Camp Scenes
- The Billy Eichner ‘Let’s Go, Lesbians!’ Meme Is Here to Save the Day
- NYC Stories: Bill Hader and Henry Winkler Have Ridiculous Memories of NYC
- How Realistic Are Hollywood Hacking Scenes?
- A History of the New York Drag Scene That Launched RuPaul
- We Baked a Drake Cake to Celebrate Scorpion
- Sex Educators React to Hollywood’s Sex Scenes
- Why GLOW’s Creators Feel Like They’re Running a ‘Leotard Factory’
- Justin Hartley on Kevin’s Transformation in This Is Us
- How Ryan Murphy Convinced Billie Lourd to Dye Her Hair For AHS: Cult
- Ted Danson on Why The Good Place Is Really About Karma
- Why Matt LeBlanc Embraced Humiliation for Episodes
- Evan Rachel Wood Explains Why Westworld Is an Actor’s Obstacle Course
- Roger Rabbit Changed the Way Hollywood Animates
- Jimmi Simpson on His Craziest Year Ever As an Actor
- Can Connie Britton Match Her Reaction With the Right 911 Call?