Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker took home the top prizes at last night’s Writers Guild Awards, cementing their status as Oscar front-runners. The Hurt Locker’s Mark Boal won the award for original screenplay while Up in the Air’s Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner won for adapting Walter Kirn’s book. It wasn’t all sobering tales of war and recession, though: Television awards went to 30 Rock, Mad Men, and the excellent Modern Family. Manny should be proud.
* Documentary screenplay: “The Cove,” Mark Monroe.
* Dramatic series: “Mad Men,” Lisa Albert, Andrew Colville, Kater Gordon, Cathryn Humphris, Andre Jacquemetton, Maria Jacquemetton, Brett Johnson, Erin Levy, Marti Noxon, Frank Pierson, Robin Veith, Dahvi Waller and Matthew Weiner.
* Comedy series: “30 Rock,” Jack Burditt, Kay Cannon, Robert Carlock, Tom Ceraulo, Vali Chandrasekaran, Tina Fey, Donald Glover, Steve Hely, Matt Hubbard, Dylan Morgan, Paula Pell, Jon Pollack, John Riggi, Tami Sagher, Josh Siegal, Ron Weiner and Tracey Wigfield.
* New series: “Modern Family,” Paul Corrigan, Sameer Gardezi, Joe Lawson, Steven Levitan, Christopher Lloyd, Dan O’Shannon, Brad Walsh, Caroline Williams, Bill Wrubel, Danny Zuker
* Episodic drama: “House” (“Broken, Part 1 and Part ” episode) Russel Friend, Garrett Lerner, David Foster, David Shore
* Episodic comedy: (tie) “30 Rock” (“Apollo, Apollo” episode), Robert Carlock; “Modern Family” (pilot episode), Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd
* Long-form – original: “Georgia O’Keeffe,” Michael Cristofer
* Long-form – adaptation: “Taking Chance,” Michael R. Strobl and Ross Katz
* Comedy/variety – series: (tie) “Saturday Night Live,” head writer: Seth Meyers; “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” head writer: Steve Bodow
* Animation: “The Simpsons” (“Wedding for Disaster” episode), Joel H. Cohen
* Comedy/writing – music, awards, tributes, specials: “Film Independent’s 2009 Spirit Awards,” Billy Kimball, Neil MacLennan
* Daytime serial: “Young and the Restless,” Amanda L. Beall, Tom Caiello, Lisa Connor, Janice Ferri Esser, Eric Freiwald, Jay Gibson, Scott Hammer, Marla Kanelos, Beth Milstein, Natalie Minardi Slater, Melissa Salmons, Linda Schreiber, James Stanley, Sandra Weintraub, Teresa Zimmerman
* Children’s episodic and specials: “The Troop” (“Welcome to the Jungle” episode), Max Burnett
* Children’s script – longform or special: “Another Cinderella Story,” Erik Patterson, Jessica Scott
* Videogame writing: “Uncharted 2: Among Theives,” Amy Hennig
’Hurt Locker,’ ‘Up in the Air’ win Writers Guild awards [Envelope/LAT]