Prince Died of an Accidental Opioid Overdose, According to Toxicology Results

36th Annual NAACP Image Awards - Show
Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Prince died of an accidental opioid overdose, the Midwest Medical Examiner’s office has confirmed. The results of a toxicology report show Prince had the painkiller Fentanyl in his system at the time of his death. The singer, who was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota on April 21, was previously reported to have been treated for a drug overdose during an emergency plane landing roughly one week prior to his death. According to a search warrant, Prince saw a local doctor twice before his death who had prescribed the singer unspecified medication. An investigation into his death was reportedly focusing on painkillers, with the DEA’s involvement. The medical examiner’s report, below, notes that the Carver County Sheriff’s office is still continuing that investigation.

This post has been updated throughout.

Prince Died of an Accidental Opioid Overdose