The Problem With Apu Trailer Asks: Is Apu From The Simpsons a Minstrel?
Comedian Hari Kondabolu is tired of staying quiet about his dislike for Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, the Hank Azaria–voiced Indian shop owner on The Simpsons. So he’s gone and made a whole feature-length documentary exploring The Problem With Apu. Kondabolu sits down for interviews with fellow entertainers Aparna Nancherla, Kal Penn, Aasif Mandvi, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Hasan Minhaj, Maulik Pancholy, Simpsons writer Dana Gould, Whoopi Goldberg, and more to talk about the cultural ripple effect of Apu becoming one of the most visible “Indian” characters on TV over the last 30 years, and dissects whether or not his presentation constitutes a minstrel show. The trailer was unveiled today at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, with its airdate still TBD on truTV.
- The 13 Most Withering Insults on ‘Big Little Lies’
- Tom Kenny Explains Various SpongeBob Memes
- How Realistic Is Hollywood’s Depiction of Women in Media?
- Christina Applegate Explains the Backstory of Jen’s Mastectomy on Dead to Me
- How Timothy Simons Handles All the Insults on Veep
- Sutton Foster Gushes Over Younger Director Miriam Shor
- The Team Behind I Am the Night on Why It’s So Universally Resonant
- The Cast of Miracle Workers Plays a Round of Catch Phrase
- DeWanda Wise on Preparing for Her Role in She’s Gotta Have It
- The Women of One Day at a Time Ship Penelope and Schneider’s Relationship
- Here’s What Went Into Filming Camping Episode of Project Runway
- Linda Cardellini Is Good at Keeping Secrets
- Natasha Rothwell Channels Her Inner Nancy Meyers
- Anna Konkle and Maya Erskine on Why Pen15 Is So Relatable
- Niecy Nash Critiques Iconic Nails
- Eric McCormack on What Society Expects From Sitcoms
- Behind the Infamous Romper Scene in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Lily Collins on the Importance of Strong Female Story Lines
- Christina Hendricks and Retta Play the Newlywed Game
- Why Christopher Abbott Read Catch-22 Twice Before Filming