Inside All the Moving Parts of Guardians of the Galaxy 2’s Escape From the Elector
Why do we love to watch Baby Groot commit murder? Perhaps it’s a question best saved for your therapist, but when Vulture recently sat down with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn, he had plenty to tell us about our favorite little sapling’s bloodlust, especially as it relates to one of his movie’s most audacious sequences, the escape from the Elector.
This several-minute stretch, where Yondu (Michael Rooker), Rocket (Bradley Cooper), and Baby Groot (Vin Diesel) make a jailbreak, contains some of the movie’s most complicated shots, and Gunn ramps the speed up and down as the bodies of the mutinous Ravagers fall. How much planning had to go into a sequence with so many moving parts? Gunn broke down exactly how he filmed it, from camera selection to his song pick.
- Taylor Garron and Chanel James Made a Whole Movie From Separate Homes
- Matthew Rhys Walks Us Through Getting Humped Off a Bed
- Sam Richardson Is Daddy and He Is Familiar (With Guns)
- Tom Stourton’s Face was Not Allowed to Play Edward Snowden
- Elijah Wood Is Just a Really Nice Guy, Honestly
- Michael Ian Black Owns a Robot Car
- Allow Selling Sunset’s Mary Fitzgerald to Convince You to Move to L.A.
- Meeting the Greatest Band You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of