Inside All the Moving Parts of Guardians of the Galaxy 2’s Escape From the Elector
Why do we love to watch Baby Groot commit murder? Perhaps it’s a question best saved for your therapist, but when Vulture recently sat down with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn, he had plenty to tell us about our favorite little sapling’s bloodlust, especially as it relates to one of his movie’s most audacious sequences, the escape from the Elector.
This several-minute stretch, where Yondu (Michael Rooker), Rocket (Bradley Cooper), and Baby Groot (Vin Diesel) make a jailbreak, contains some of the movie’s most complicated shots, and Gunn ramps the speed up and down as the bodies of the mutinous Ravagers fall. How much planning had to go into a sequence with so many moving parts? Gunn broke down exactly how he filmed it, from camera selection to his song pick.
- An Illusionist Reacts to Movies and TV Shows About Illusions
- SNL Writers on Their Favorite Oddball Sketches of Season 44
- Watch a User Experience Expert React to Sci-fi Operating Systems
- The Meanest Jabs in Season One of Succession
- The 13 Most Withering Insults on ‘Big Little Lies’
- Tom Kenny Explains Various SpongeBob Memes
- How Realistic Is Hollywood’s Depiction of Women in Media?
- Christina Applegate Explains the Backstory of Jen’s Mastectomy on Dead to Me
- How Timothy Simons Handles All the Insults on Veep
- Sutton Foster Gushes Over Younger Director Miriam Shor
- The Team Behind I Am the Night on Why It’s So Universally Resonant
- The Cast of Miracle Workers Plays a Round of Catch Phrase
- DeWanda Wise on Preparing for Her Role in She’s Gotta Have It
- The Women of One Day at a Time Ship Penelope and Schneider’s Relationship
- Here’s What Went Into Filming Camping Episode of Project Runway
- Linda Cardellini Is Good at Keeping Secrets
- Natasha Rothwell Channels Her Inner Nancy Meyers
- Anna Konkle and Maya Erskine on Why Pen15 Is So Relatable
- Niecy Nash Critiques Iconic Nails
- Eric McCormack on What Society Expects From Sitcoms