Jessica Chastain Fights Sexism With a Paintbrush in Woman Walks Ahead Trailer
Jessica Chastain loves playing women with a job to do who will face extreme adversity along the way. In Woman Walks Ahead, that woman is Caroline Weldon, an artist in 19th-century New York City on a mission to find Sitting Bull, a Hunkpapa Lakota tribe leader in the Dakotas, so she can paint his portrait. What Weldon also finds, however, is a lot of misogynist white men set on wiping out Native Americans. The timeline of the movie takes place in the lead-up to the Wounded Knee Massacre of 1890, making the story quite sad even in moments of triumph. The real Caroline Weldon was already an activist with the National Indian Defense Association by the time she met Sitting Bull, and came to the Midwest to help fight against the Dawes Act, which broke apart tribal lands to distribute land among individuals. But if you want to see the One Woman’s Awakening version of that story, Woman Walks Ahead opens on June 29.
- Chernobyl Stars on How the Series Is Politically Relevant Today
- Freida Pinto Almost Cut Off All Her Hair for ‘Only’
- The Cast of Buffaloed Has Strong Opinions on Buffalo Wings
- Wedding Culture Meets Cancel Culture With the Cast of Plus One
- Teenagers Fact-Check Iconic High-School Movies
- Watch an Astronaut React to Films About Space
- All the Shows Competing to Be the Next Game of Thrones
- Watch People Try to Recap 7 Seasons of Game of Thrones
- Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood on Superstitions and Cursed Images
- Watch a Trauma Surgeon React to Action-Movie Injuries
- Watch Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood Play A Chilling Game of Mad Libs
- Watch a Combat Expert Review Iconic Onscreen Weapons
- Women React to the 90-Second Orgasm in Long Shot
- Jordan Peele’s Comedy and Horror Aren’t That Far Apart
- Marvel Movie Disguises Are Just the Worst
- Why Is American Idol So Cruel?
- I Need 86,000 People to Believe in Me, Based on What Lady Gaga Says
- Would It Actually Be Possible to Train a Dragon?
- Is Valentine’s Day the Worst Rom-Com of All Time?
- Ghostface Killah Shares the Origin of His 30 Rock Cameo