Marisa Tomei Is the Architect of Murder in the Trailer for The First Purge
If you thought The First Purge director Gerard McMurray was going to lean away from the political undertones of the franchise that he inherited from creator James DeMonaco, you were so, so wrong. As white elites monitor what is essentially the beta-testing round of the Purge — set among the captive population of Staten Island — a black man screams to his angry cohort, “Our neighborhood is under siege from a government who doesn’t give a shit about any of us!” It turns out the New Founding Fathers presiding over Purge-era America have a woman to thank for the country’s deadliest fake holiday: Marisa Tomei joins the franchise as Dr. May Updale, who devised the Purge as a psychological experiment to curtail crime in the country, and who, just in the course of the trailer, realizes she’s made a terrible mistake and there’s no shutting the Pandora’s box of her design. The First Purge arrives in theaters on July 4.
- Watch a Mixologist Fact-Check Hollywood Bar Scenes
- The 7 Most Damning Appearances on Who Is America?
- Watch a Cannabis Expert Fact-Check Stoner Movies
- Watch a Sword Expert Fact-check Hollywood Sword Fights
- Pets in Film Are Shook by Human Intimacy
- Chef Dale Talde Critiques Hollywood Food Scenes
- How Realistic Are Shark Attacks in Movies?
- Camp Counselors React to Hollywood Camp Scenes
- The Billy Eichner ‘Let’s Go, Lesbians!’ Meme Is Here to Save the Day
- NYC Stories: Bill Hader and Henry Winkler Have Ridiculous Memories of NYC
- How Realistic Are Hollywood Hacking Scenes?
- A History of the New York Drag Scene That Launched RuPaul
- We Baked a Drake Cake to Celebrate Scorpion
- Sex Educators React to Hollywood’s Sex Scenes
- Why GLOW’s Creators Feel Like They’re Running a ‘Leotard Factory’
- Justin Hartley on Kevin’s Transformation in This Is Us
- How Ryan Murphy Convinced Billie Lourd to Dye Her Hair For AHS: Cult
- Ted Danson on Why The Good Place Is Really About Karma
- Why Matt LeBlanc Embraced Humiliation for Episodes
- Evan Rachel Wood Explains Why Westworld Is an Actor’s Obstacle Course