Marisa Tomei Is the Architect of Murder in the Trailer for The First Purge
If you thought The First Purge director Gerard McMurray was going to lean away from the political undertones of the franchise that he inherited from creator James DeMonaco, you were so, so wrong. As white elites monitor what is essentially the beta-testing round of the Purge — set among the captive population of Staten Island — a black man screams to his angry cohort, “Our neighborhood is under siege from a government who doesn’t give a shit about any of us!” It turns out the New Founding Fathers presiding over Purge-era America have a woman to thank for the country’s deadliest fake holiday: Marisa Tomei joins the franchise as Dr. May Updale, who devised the Purge as a psychological experiment to curtail crime in the country, and who, just in the course of the trailer, realizes she’s made a terrible mistake and there’s no shutting the Pandora’s box of her design. The First Purge arrives in theaters on July 4.
- Chernobyl Stars on How the Series Is Politically Relevant Today
- Freida Pinto Almost Cut Off All Her Hair for ‘Only’
- The Cast of Buffaloed Has Strong Opinions on Buffalo Wings
- Wedding Culture Meets Cancel Culture With the Cast of Plus One
- Teenagers Fact-Check Iconic High-School Movies
- Watch an Astronaut React to Films About Space
- All the Shows Competing to Be the Next Game of Thrones
- Watch People Try to Recap 7 Seasons of Game of Thrones
- Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood on Superstitions and Cursed Images
- Watch a Trauma Surgeon React to Action-Movie Injuries
- Watch Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood Play A Chilling Game of Mad Libs
- Watch a Combat Expert Review Iconic Onscreen Weapons
- Women React to the 90-Second Orgasm in Long Shot
- Jordan Peele’s Comedy and Horror Aren’t That Far Apart
- Marvel Movie Disguises Are Just the Worst
- Why Is American Idol So Cruel?
- I Need 86,000 People to Believe in Me, Based on What Lady Gaga Says
- Would It Actually Be Possible to Train a Dragon?
- Is Valentine’s Day the Worst Rom-Com of All Time?
- Ghostface Killah Shares the Origin of His 30 Rock Cameo