M.I.A.’s Documentary Will See the Light of Day, and Here’s the Trailer to Prove It
M.I.A.’s documentary about her life and career has been mired in development hell since 2013, after its director Steve Loveridge leaked the trailer. The leak led to a rift between M.I.A. and Loveridge, with M.I.A later claiming it could take “another ten years” to put the doc out. At long last, MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. debuted at Sundance earlier this year and now has an official trailer chronicling M.I.A.’s ascent from Sri Lankan refugee (her family’s controversial ties to the Tamil Tigers will be addressed) to pop star. It features archival self-filmed footage, including personal webcam videos with her ex, Diplo. MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. will have a U.K. release on September 21, followed by its U.S. release on September 28.
- The 7 Most Damning Appearances on Who Is America?
- Watch a Cannabis Expert Fact-Check Stoner Movies
- Watch a Sword Expert Fact-check Hollywood Sword Fights
- Pets in Film Are Shook by Human Intimacy
- Chef Dale Talde Critiques Hollywood Food Scenes
- How Realistic Are Shark Attacks in Movies?
- Camp Counselors React to Hollywood Camp Scenes
- The Billy Eichner ‘Let’s Go, Lesbians!’ Meme Is Here to Save the Day
- NYC Stories: Bill Hader and Henry Winkler Have Ridiculous Memories of NYC
- How Realistic Are Hollywood Hacking Scenes?
- A History of the New York Drag Scene That Launched RuPaul
- We Baked a Drake Cake to Celebrate Scorpion
- Sex Educators React to Hollywood’s Sex Scenes
- Why GLOW’s Creators Feel Like They’re Running a ‘Leotard Factory’
- Justin Hartley on Kevin’s Transformation in This Is Us
- How Ryan Murphy Convinced Billie Lourd to Dye Her Hair For AHS: Cult
- Ted Danson on Why The Good Place Is Really About Karma
- Why Matt LeBlanc Embraced Humiliation for Episodes
- Evan Rachel Wood Explains Why Westworld Is an Actor’s Obstacle Course
- Roger Rabbit Changed the Way Hollywood Animates