Maggie Gyllenhaal Does Some Well-Intentioned Kidnapping in The Kindergarten Teacher Trailer
If you see Maggie Gyllenhaal cast in an everyday job, like that of a kindergarten teacher (or, say, a secretary) expect that it’s because she’ll be playing the darkest possible version of that role. In the trailer for her latest film, which was lauded at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival and snatched up by Netflix, Gyllenhaal plays an educator named Lisa who becomes troublingly invested in the success of a student demonstrating promise in poetry. Determined not to let his talent languish among the ordinary, she resolves to nurture him, and things go way too far. Vulture gave Gyllenhall the honorific of being one of the “Most Dangerously Obsessive White Ladies” to come out of this year’s Sundance, and critic Emily Yoshida called Teacher “an electrifying, empathetic cringefest,” which sounds 500 percent like a Gyllenhaal film, Maggie or otherwise. It starts streaming October 12.
- Chernobyl Stars on How the Series Is Politically Relevant Today
- Freida Pinto Almost Cut Off All Her Hair for ‘Only’
- The Cast of Buffaloed Has Strong Opinions on Buffalo Wings
- Wedding Culture Meets Cancel Culture With the Cast of Plus One
- Teenagers Fact-Check Iconic High-School Movies
- Watch an Astronaut React to Films About Space
- All the Shows Competing to Be the Next Game of Thrones
- Watch People Try to Recap 7 Seasons of Game of Thrones
- Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood on Superstitions and Cursed Images
- Watch a Trauma Surgeon React to Action-Movie Injuries
- Watch Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood Play A Chilling Game of Mad Libs
- Watch a Combat Expert Review Iconic Onscreen Weapons
- Women React to the 90-Second Orgasm in Long Shot
- Jordan Peele’s Comedy and Horror Aren’t That Far Apart
- Marvel Movie Disguises Are Just the Worst
- Why Is American Idol So Cruel?
- I Need 86,000 People to Believe in Me, Based on What Lady Gaga Says
- Would It Actually Be Possible to Train a Dragon?
- Is Valentine’s Day the Worst Rom-Com of All Time?
- Ghostface Killah Shares the Origin of His 30 Rock Cameo