Maggie Gyllenhaal Does Some Well-Intentioned Kidnapping in The Kindergarten Teacher Trailer
If you see Maggie Gyllenhaal cast in an everyday job, like that of a kindergarten teacher (or, say, a secretary) expect that it’s because she’ll be playing the darkest possible version of that role. In the trailer for her latest film, which was lauded at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival and snatched up by Netflix, Gyllenhaal plays an educator named Lisa who becomes troublingly invested in the success of a student demonstrating promise in poetry. Determined not to let his talent languish among the ordinary, she resolves to nurture him, and things go way too far. Vulture gave Gyllenhall the honorific of being one of the “Most Dangerously Obsessive White Ladies” to come out of this year’s Sundance, and critic Emily Yoshida called Teacher “an electrifying, empathetic cringefest,” which sounds 500 percent like a Gyllenhaal film, Maggie or otherwise. It starts streaming October 12.
- Watch a Mixologist Fact-Check Hollywood Bar Scenes
- The 7 Most Damning Appearances on Who Is America?
- Watch a Cannabis Expert Fact-Check Stoner Movies
- Watch a Sword Expert Fact-check Hollywood Sword Fights
- Pets in Film Are Shook by Human Intimacy
- Chef Dale Talde Critiques Hollywood Food Scenes
- How Realistic Are Shark Attacks in Movies?
- Camp Counselors React to Hollywood Camp Scenes
- The Billy Eichner ‘Let’s Go, Lesbians!’ Meme Is Here to Save the Day
- NYC Stories: Bill Hader and Henry Winkler Have Ridiculous Memories of NYC
- How Realistic Are Hollywood Hacking Scenes?
- A History of the New York Drag Scene That Launched RuPaul
- We Baked a Drake Cake to Celebrate Scorpion
- Sex Educators React to Hollywood’s Sex Scenes
- Why GLOW’s Creators Feel Like They’re Running a ‘Leotard Factory’
- Justin Hartley on Kevin’s Transformation in This Is Us
- How Ryan Murphy Convinced Billie Lourd to Dye Her Hair For AHS: Cult
- Ted Danson on Why The Good Place Is Really About Karma
- Why Matt LeBlanc Embraced Humiliation for Episodes
- Evan Rachel Wood Explains Why Westworld Is an Actor’s Obstacle Course