Paula Pell Teases Amy Poehler’s Directorial Debut Wine Country
Paula Pell can’t say much about Netflix’s forthcoming movie Wine Country, but she did say her part “may involve dildos.” The project, which she also teased will be released in “springish time,” marks Amy Poehler’s directorial debut. Pell sat down alongside Richard Kind, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Rhys Thomas, and Alex Buono at Vulture Spot at Sundance to talk about their new episode of IFC’s Documentary Now, but things got a little off-topic.
Wine Country was inspired by a true story — but not the kind of tear-jerking, stranger-than-fiction tale you might associate with that tagline. In reality, the idea for the film came to Poehler after a girls’ trip to Napa for Rachel Dratch’s 50th birthday with fellow mid-2000s SNL powerhouse alums Pell, Dratch, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer, Tina Fey, and Emily Spivey.
Pell revealed that while the actresses don’t play themselves in the film, the story is still about the group. “Every fault and every wonderful thing” remains present in each of the characters, Pell said. Little else is known about the project, except that it also includes Jason Schwartzman and Cherry Jones, and was co-written by Spivey and former SNL writer Liz Cackowski.
From the group of friends that brought us this, this, and this, it’s definitely about time they all got together and made a movie. “When the friendship stays real off camera, you get the results on camera,” Dratch previously told Vulture.
- Why Hasn’t Mindy Kaling Been on Drag Race Yet?
- Tony Hale and Jordana Spiro Are Ready to Tear Up Sundance
- Peter Sarsgaard Needs to Work on His Elevator Pitch
- Armie Hammer Can’t Answer Your Most Burning Call Me By Your Name Question
- Mark Duplass and Ray Romano Declare Bromances Canceled
- Daniel Radcliffe Actually Loves the Harry Potter Theme Parks
- Jon Hamm Stands Up for Federal Employees
- Chris Wallace Wants You to Remember It Can Always Get Worse
- Annette Bening’s Portrayal of Dianne Feinstein Isn’t About ‘Propping Up Anybody
- Paula Pell Teases Amy Poehler’s Directorial Debut Wine Country
- Jeff Goldblum Almost Knows How to Perform a Lobotomy
- Jenny Slate Bonds With Goat During Filming of The Sunlit Night
- Watch Lupita Nyong’o’s Tiny Co-Stars Reenact Her Belting Taylor Swift
- Pete Davidson Chats SNL and Starting Comedy As a Teenager
- Watch Demi Moore, Iconic Screen Crier, Summon Tears on Command
- Shia LaBeouf’s Castmates Confirm That He Is, Indeed, a Human Being
- Patty Jenkins Calls the Wonder Woman 1984 Cast ‘Magical’
- D’Arcy Carden’s Sundance Co-Stars Unpack Her Diva Behavior
- Lena Headey Reveals If She, in Fact, Actually Likes Cersei
- Octavia Spencer Does Not Want to Host the Oscars, But We Tried