Why Is American Idol So Cruel?
In Vulture’s video series Mad About It, we obsessively dig into the most frustrating plot holes and unanswered questions across pop culture.
American Idol returns this weekend for a 17th season, and the new judges are certainly a lot more pleasant than Simon Cowell ever was. Still, something about watching people try and fail horribly in their auditions feels dystopian, even if the judges aren’t being jerks. And the truth is, American Idol doesn’t need to air those auditions — they choose to.
- Taylor Garron and Chanel James Made a Whole Movie From Separate Homes
- Matthew Rhys Walks Us Through Getting Humped Off a Bed
- Sam Richardson Is Daddy and He Is Familiar (With Guns)
- Tom Stourton’s Face was Not Allowed to Play Edward Snowden
- Elijah Wood Is Just a Really Nice Guy, Honestly
- Michael Ian Black Owns a Robot Car
- Allow Selling Sunset’s Mary Fitzgerald to Convince You to Move to L.A.
- Meeting the Greatest Band You’ve (Maybe) Never Heard Of