An Astronaut Reacts to Films About Space
In Vulture’s video series, Expert Witness, we ask scientists, historians, and other professionals to give Hollywood movies a good old-fashioned fact-check.
Cryo-sleep, alien life, black holes, and traveling at light speed appear in almost every film about space. But how realistic are these depictions about what actually occurs beyond Earth’s atmosphere?
In this episode of Expert Witness, we turned to Mike Massimino for answers. Massimino is a former NASA astronaut who now teaches mechanical engineering at Columbia University and also serves as the senior advisor for Space Programs at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
- Chernobyl Stars on How the Series Is Politically Relevant Today
- Freida Pinto Almost Cut Off All Her Hair for ‘Only’
- The Cast of Buffaloed Has Strong Opinions on Buffalo Wings
- Wedding Culture Meets Cancel Culture With the Cast of Plus One
- Teenagers Fact-Check Iconic High-School Movies
- Watch an Astronaut React to Films About Space
- All the Shows Competing to Be the Next Game of Thrones
- Watch People Try to Recap 7 Seasons of Game of Thrones
- Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood on Superstitions and Cursed Images
- Watch a Trauma Surgeon React to Action-Movie Injuries
- Watch Kiernan Shipka and Gavin Leatherwood Play A Chilling Game of Mad Libs
- Watch a Combat Expert Review Iconic Onscreen Weapons
- Women React to the 90-Second Orgasm in Long Shot
- Jordan Peele’s Comedy and Horror Aren’t That Far Apart
- Marvel Movie Disguises Are Just the Worst
- Why Is American Idol So Cruel?
- I Need 86,000 People to Believe in Me, Based on What Lady Gaga Says
- Would It Actually Be Possible to Train a Dragon?
- Is Valentine’s Day the Worst Rom-Com of All Time?
- Ghostface Killah Shares the Origin of His 30 Rock Cameo